opossum palWednesday, December 11, 2013
Last week I got the opportunity to photograph this very handsome little fellow...
A few neat opossum facts:
◦ Opossums are marsupials, the babies are carried and weaned in their mother's pouch.
◦ They're mostly immune to rabies because of their low body temperature. A wild dog is eight times more likely to have rabies than an opossum.
◦ Virginia Opossums, the kind seen here, are around the size of a domestic cat. This particular little guy was still fairly young and therefore a bit smaller.
◦ When threatened they'll "play possum", an involuntary act in which it mimics a dead animal.
◦ They only live to be 2-4 years old.
◦ Opossums have an opposable big toe with no claw on their back feet. Check it out in the third photo!
◦ Opossums have semi-prehensile tails that they use to assist them in climbing. A full grown opossum is too heavy to hang from it's tail (like you often see in cartoons) although juveniles may briefly hang.
◦ Opossums have 50 teeth, the most out of all other North American land mammals!
Aren't opossums neat?
PS. If you're still not convinced opossums are adorable/the absolute coolest, you need to check out this post from 2010 when I blogged about a whole litter of babies!