Six months later...Thursday, November 21, 2013
It's kind of hard to believe but today is my six month anniversary of getting my license! Hooray!
Six months ago today, right after getting my license.
Until I started driving I never realized how great it was to shop alone, how much I would enjoy cruising down the road singing at the top of my lungs, how amazing it would be to explore new places any time I wanted, how my car could become a kind of safe place to me. I could list the things I love about driving until my fingers were sore from typing but I'll spare you the silly list that I'm not sure anyone would really understand unless they waited a while before getting their license. I just never realized how great of a feeling it would be to sit down in my car and just know that it's mine and it can take me anywhere I want to go whenever I want.
Here's a short list of things that sound kind of silly but were big accomplishments in my book and wouldn't have been possible without my license:
• Literally just going places alone when I first got my license was a big deal. Cashiers aren't scary, who knew? Haha.
• Volunteering for WMC Fest - Crowded place, all alone, didn't know anyone but ended up having a blast. I look forward to volunteering next year!
• I broke down in Pittsburgh which is two and half hours away from home. I went to start my car and the dang thing would start. Even though this was just a few months back it sounds so dumb now but it was super huge deal for me to call for help. I hate talking on the phone. I will do just about anything to avoid talking on the phone. I called AAA (holy cow, thank ceiling cat for AAA!), they jumped my car and got me heading home. That situation to Kaylah from a year ago sounds unimaginably scary but even typing that now sounds a little strange that it was even a big deal at all.
• I met Mickey! Mickey had been emailing me for months suggesting we hang out and I avoided it like the plague. Finally I agreed to meet her and I literally have no idea why I was nervous about it. My shyness was preventing from letting people in and I'm not down with that.
• All my mini road trips! Pittsburgh, Sandusky, Akron, Philadelphia, and more! I didn't know I'd love exploring so much.
• Without my license Lloyd wouldn't be living in Philadelphia right now.
Some places I've visited in the past six months...
PS. Here are two related links : 1. A post about my first car. 2. A post on why I waited so long.